Oh no… I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into once this glorious dish was done. The smell filled my house and the last hour of cooking before it was done was something close to torture. It was amazing.
The barley serves as a natural thickener for this stew. It turns the stew into this beefy, flavorful, and wonderful thing. You’ll be going back for seconds and can have leftovers for lunch.
The best part is that it’s worth the prep. If you don’t like chopping vegetables, this one will be one that’s worth it in the end.
I chose to put this on high for 4 to 5 hours because I didn’t decide until lunchtime to make this but if you have more time you could choose the longer option. The beef was still tender and melted in my mouth.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 4-5 hours or 8-9 hours
What You Will Need:
- 1/2 Cup of Celery, chopped
- 3/4 Cup of Carrots, chopped
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, chopped and diced
- 1 1/2 Pounds of Potatoes, chopped (I used Yukon Gold.)
- 1 1/2 Pounds of Stewed Beef Chunks, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 Cup of Pearl Barley (Follow prep instructions on the package before using.)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
- 2 Teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 6 Cups of Beef Broth
- Begin by putting the beef chunks into a large pan and cooking until browned on each side.
- Place the rest of the ingredients, including the beef chunks, into the Crock Pot. Set on high for 5-6 hours or low for 8-9 hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve and Dobrou Chut’!